...and then

Monday 1 February 2010

Notes for today

I came across a fantastic mommy blog. Yes, I used both those words in the same sentence, so imagine how good it would have been. I added the link to my blogroll and voila! it disappeared. When I tried to go back and find it, it said the blog was protected and I  had to log in. I did it a hundred times and still no Mad Momma.

So Mad Momma, mum to the Brat and the Bean, if you ever come to my space, please let me find you.

*****

Today, my domestic help came with a trainee (as she's going away to India for 10 days). The new lady's Sri Lankan and doesn't speak anything other than Sinhalese. And my woman is Mallu and has never been to school. I was wondering how the communicate till I asked Chandra, the Sinhala, how old her kids were. She called to Fatima, my constant, to translate for her. And guess what they spoke in.

Pure, fluent, gorgeous Arabic.

*****
The one big advantage of being a homemaker is that you don't have to make the occasional choice of being faithful. You don't meet enough men to warrant any kind of attraction. So the choice to remain monogamous doesn't have to be reiterated all the time.

Unless you fall in love online or something. Then god help you.

*****

Payday came to me after more than a year now. And, boy, is my list long.
New baby cot because Shyama has outgrown her older one.
New highchair
Tricycle
New carseat
Longines/Omega for my father, in appreciation for all that he is.

Oh-kay then, that was the fastest I've spent my salary, ever.

*****

Yesterday was hilarious with my aunt reverting to her childishness and trying to antagonise me. What a laugh I had. More on her on a later date. But right now, I sincerely hope and pray her mind will reach the ripe old age of 43 that her birth certificate proves her to be.

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

did u try http://themadmomma.wordpress.com ?!?!

:)

reading your post, i was thinking that salary is something that gets spent every time it comes innit. the more money comes in, the longer the list of expenses becomes. :)

10:38 pm  
Blogger deepa ravi said...

hey so where in the middle east are you? i've lived in those parts for over 7 years! mostly in muscat. and i had a bangladeshi guy who used to come and clean once a week. sigh...those were the days. sometimes i miss those days!

oh and spending money is the easiest thing :)

7:29 am  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

Ah see! I tried themadmomma.blogspot and madmomma.wordpress. Neither worked! Thank you :)

Absolutely, you can never have enough money :) Or enough romance.

Hey Deepa. Am in Muscat as well. Technically been here for 22 years! I know! Sigh... but I left after school and went back to India to study and work. Now by some quirk of fate I am back here working!

Hahaha, the house boys :) We still have one who comes in thrice a week. Although visa norms have put the fear of deportation in most of them!

Sigh, tell me about spending money faster than you can say buy.

9:36 am  
Blogger MRC said...

I think I just managed to lose a comment here, so here we go again ...:)Thats why Im monogamous too...plus the hubby's hot(I think;)

1:53 pm  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

*Grin* The same reason that I refuse to give in to the temptation of a little variety -- hot husband :) Just read your "how we met post". So romantic :) Wishing you lots of happiness.

2:04 pm  
Blogger CognitiveLocomotive a.k.a Thought Engine said...

You write beautifully..you inspired me to start writing..I hope some of it rubs off on me.
Hugs..Ummah also

12:08 am  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

CL, a mere thank you isn't enough. Many hugs.

10:56 am  
Blogger the mad momma said...

wow! you hunted for me? I followed your comment back and got hooked - we were meant to be, baby ;)

specially if you like Jeet's poetry too!

5:16 pm  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

yay!
someone other than me who has read jeet thayil. i'll hop into bed with him in a heartbeat if he asked me :P
(i hope he NEVER sees this comment.)

5:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home