...and then

Monday 17 January 2011

Song of the single mum: Date night.

Of course, you love flirting with me.
I make good conversation, take care of my hair
Fingers, feet and breath. I have a pretty smile

You could parry intelligently with me
About most things, except maybe frogs or chemistry.
I know a little about a lot of things. I fake it well

I will tell you I’ve enjoyed having dinner with you,
And acknowledge privately that the wine is helping my charm.
The night is full of possibility: more talk, more wine

But as we get to your place for that one last drink,
And you kiss me, having shoved me gently against the door,
I have to issue a little warning

I may not look as old as I am, or as if I’ve given birth.
But good genes don’t bless away the grapefruit skin,
Or moonlight scars on my soft stomach

I have a Caesarian gash, which might turn you off;
And breasts that have been functional and on display,
Unintentionally. Effects will show

So if all that matters to you is a fun lay,
A little variety between the sheets,
Turn off the lights, be a man and let’s play

But if there’s going to be more, then leave the lights on;
Let the night go beyond my poise
And shine its drunk light on my imperfections.

Do you prefer less woman, I wonder.
And would I bore you next week? If, that is,
You last beyond my xoxo-note in the morning?

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Sujatha said...

Awesome!!!!!

4:42 pm  
Blogger untitleddocument said...

This reminds me of some really attractive young mothers I know. I wouldn't dare flirt with them, though.

It's not as if it's shocking, but definitely sets the pulse racing.

Some people might call this blase, but I think it's not that bad in taste.

4:54 pm  
Anonymous Twitterfollower said...

You have just spoilt the whole MILF image for all the guys who read this. Anyway, there is Pam Anderson and well, 'you' ( The poem you, not you , you)

But on a serious note, there was a rerun of the Saif Ali Khan-Amrita Singh interview on the Simi Garewal Show recently. At the end of the show, it read "blah blah..the couple split 10 months after this interview. Today, Saif has found superstardom, fame and true love. Amrita Singh maintains a low profile these days and spends time with her two children..."
It pretty much summed up the fate and life of a single mother.

6:53 am  
Blogger pRasad said...

Just wondering from where did you get an idea to write poetry on this subject?..:) Nice & bold..

7:51 am  
Blogger The Visitor said...

You are a poet, TRQ.

8:51 am  
Blogger The Coffee Cup said...

Read this (more than once) and the earlier posts. Do have opinions and comments, but just can't find the right words. :)

9:43 am  
Blogger Natasha said...

Love this poem. Very sassy and celebratory!

1:59 pm  
Blogger Natasha said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:59 pm  
Blogger techrsr said...

Very... heady.

2:14 pm  
Blogger Sandhya Menon said...

Sumi : Long time no see. :)

Sujatha : So sweet. Glad you liked it!

untitleddocument : Blase, bad taste :) Interesting. Thanks for the comment!

twitterfollower : I don't know about that. It's tough being a single mum but I think it's Singh might be having a lot more fun than Khan in that low-profile life of hers :) MILF -- seriously :P

pRasad : It's a mixture of a lot of things. It's also a reality I see often among some mothers I know. Bold? You think so? Hmm.

TV : Always good to see you here and that comment means a lot :)

TCC : Well,find them :P I love the comments.

Natasha : So glad you like it. I just discovered your blog. I love it. Many work hours wasted. Need I say more? :)

Tech : Is it? Interesting.

1:33 pm  
Anonymous Roxana said...

You awesome blogger-poet, you. Brilliant. All your poems in recent times.

9:00 pm  
Blogger the mad momma said...

this one was beautiful, babe. just beautiful

9:29 pm  
Blogger Ramya said...

I'm not big on poetry, but I though this one was really, really good.

9:35 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home