...and then

Wednesday 28 December 2011

About effing PMS

There's a hungry, mean lion in the small of my back
Mane in my right hip as its tail whips my left.
Sometimes it reaches through my pelvis
Into my womb,
Slivering it in half; no anaesthesia.

Two green beastly carnivores
Rest in my knees. They eat cartilage and chew on my bone
They stretch those thigh-long limbs in square-centimetre space
Consuming, delivering, leaving pain Post-its.

A crazy red bee buzzes in my frontal lobe
And my temper races with my flash of impulse
I see red, I see green, I see everything in between.
Acid leaps, fires wind their way through
Yet the crazy red bee buzzes, buzzes.

Breasts mauled by a shape-shifting ogre
Who rests on my heart on such days
Bra-less seems like a good idea. Sagging be damned.
There's relief in a Brufen, there's relief in heat
But it will be blood that will kill these beasts



*****

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Ghadeer said...

I love this!
I thought once a woman gave birth, the period pains stop. Please tell me this is true :( I want to know it's going to stop someday.

2:51 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jnana, Sorry to burst the bubble. That is just something people to say to make you feel better about having babies. I believed it too. But 2 years post the baby, I still have the same effin cramps.

TRQ I love this poem.

P

1:58 pm  
Anonymous Raj said...

S.. brave one this! Straight from the gut!

11:32 am  
Blogger Ire said...

Loved it. I guess most of us agree with the image you paint here with your words :)

10:28 am  
Blogger Shammi said...

Amen, sister.

2:28 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

haa.. soo true.. itss indeed a living hell.... you just the right amoount of everything there


take care
niya
niya101.blogspot.com

9:18 am  
Blogger Arunima said...

i am one among the few blessed. I get cranky, but no pains.

7:11 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

INTENSE and UGLY TRUTH! Hats off to translating the pain into words woman!!!!

1:24 am  
Blogger Priyanka Kamath said...

Ahh this one, is bang on !
I was nodding like a retard at everything you mentioned !
Super, lady :D

Just tumbled down your blog and oh.. it is such an addiction !:D

6:06 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

La la la la la Panadol. And then one curls up in a fetal position.

2:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home